Friday, December 11th, 2015
now browsing by day
For Immediate Release
11 December 2015, 11:00am MST
Utah Smoke Free Association reminds parents of the dangers of nicotine containing e-liquid.
This week, there was an unfortunate incident involving a 9-month old child and e-liquid used with vapor products. According to the media report <http://www.good4utah.com/news/local-news/as-e-cigs-become-widespread-so-do-their-hazards-baby-ingests-dads-nicotine-juice-in-north-ogden>, the father of the child left an open bottle of e-liquid containing nicotine at a location where the child could easily access it. The child then proceeded to orally consume an unreported amount of the liquid and became ill resulting in a trip to the emergency room. We are releived that the medical staff reports the child will make a full recovery and is not expected to incur any long term harm.
This is the first known incident in Utah such as this and we would like to remind everyone of the necessary safety protocols relating to e-liquid and vapor products. While it’s believed that the bottle used did employ child-resistant caps, the father did not have the cap on the bottle and the bottle was on the floor within the child’s access. It is important to remind every consumer of vapor products (e-cigarettes, vape pens, etc) that e-liquid which contains nicotine is potentially deadly if orally consumed; moreso for small children. E-liquid, like all other chemicals, must always be kept with the cap tightly secured and must always be kept out of the reach of children.
Children are naturally curious and will explore their surroundings. We have seen many instance over the years with children consuming laundry pods, medications, cosmetics, etc leading them to trips to the hospital to treat the exposures. We ask that every consumer of vapor products ensure the products stay well out of reach of children whether you have children in your home or where you may be in the home where small children are present. There are several signs of nicotine poisoning including drooling, agitation, vomiting, rapid heart rate, and seizures. While the child did not exhibit any of these symptoms, it’s important to remember the safety. E-liquid and vapor products of all types should be treated no differently than you would treat standard household chemicals such as cleaners and bleach. All chemicals, medications and vapor products must be kept out of reach of children and we ask that anyone with small children in your homes to please follow this warning.
We remind every retailer of vapor products to educate your customers on the dangers of the products where children are present in their homes. If an overdose or accidental exposure occurs, please seek immediate medical help or contact a poison control center by calling 1-(800) 222-1222.by